For Love of a Dog.


Today, we had to rush to the vet with Rocco. Thankfully, our vet’s office has open clinic hours on Saturdays, and though we had to wait a long time, it couldn’t be avoided. This morning he was bothering an area on his back right leg, where a small growth has been for a while. When he finally let me close enough to really look at it, I could see that it was red, swollen and bleeding a little. Seeing as Rocco is no spring chicken (he’s 11), I didn’t really feel like the trip to the vet could wait.
We made the 1/2 hour trip and took our place in the very long line of other drop-in patients. Rocco has a bad attitude towards other dogs on leash, so Paul and I took turns outside with him. I should mention that Paul, not I, dried Rocco off when he got really wet from the pouring rain. I was reminded again of what a good man I married. We were finally seen after about an hour and fifteen minutes and met quite the cast of characters along the way. During my stint in the waiting room, I befriended Kiwi, the barking-est Pomeranian on the planet, who was also incredibly sweet and Jack a 4 and a half month old pit bull puppy, whose  kissy- faced exuberance was interspersed with brief periods in the froggy-doggy position. We also shared the area with a gorgeous husky and the cutest little baby goat, who had a broken leg. Other than periods of crazy barking from the Pom (who was clearly in charge of making sure that whoever entered passed muster), for the most part, the waiting room maintained a pretty calm feel. That is, until the feral kittens arrived. Two women brought in a very large crate with 3 kittens and a small mama cat. The kittens were so freaked they were literally climbing the walls of the crate. The entrance of this little family changed the vibe and the husky went from seeming to want to just smell the goat’s butt to seeming to want her for dinner. The Pom and the Pit were straining to get at least a whiff of the kittens (who looked like the “Hang in there, baby” poster hanging from the wire) and these beautiful little kitties with the soft eyes let out devil hisses at anyone who came near them. They were not falling for the baby voiced humans, not at all. And, then…..the goat took a leak and a poop in quick succession right there in the waiting area and not to be beaten, the husky followed suit. The pit wanted to see what goat poop smelled like, so he was whining like a fool and all the while the Pom barked and barked and barked. Fortunately, everyone seemed to agree that this was all very funny and once the pee and poop were cleaned up, things calmed right back down. Shortly after, we were called back to see the vet, and honestly, that was the best wasted hour I have had in a long time.
Thankfully, it looks like the lump is no big deal. Rooco may have infected it by licking or biting at it, and the vet was hopeful that a course of antibiotics will do the trick. I pray that is so, because I have to admit that his age is always at the back of my mind and I don’t think I can handle anymore loss or sadness this year. Poor Savannah, who wore her furrowed brow when we left without her, was rewarded with a McDonald’s cheeseburger, the typical apres-vet treat around here. Rocco, of course, also got some french fries…..with a side of Cephalexin 😉


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s